10 September 2016

Emotional Self-Care

Today we had a Relief Society Staycation.  The theme was "It is Better to Look Up". The whole day had activities and classes with super cute titles like Rise Up (Yoga Class), Clean Up (Simple Organizing Class), Dress Up (Dress Your Body Type), Craft Up (Blessing Boards), Eat Up (Lunch), etc.  Before lunch our main class, Look Up, was taught by our keynote speaker, Sister Christina Packard.  She is a private practice mental health counselor and spoke about emotional self-care.  The Spirit was very strong as she spoke about the importance of emotional self-care.  I will do my best to convey her message and give the highlights (want the full notes? just ask).  

In the beginning she asked us to list 5-6 stresses in your life (I could hear sisters chuckle cause we all have more than 5-6 stresses in our lives).  I know all of us have different stresses in our lives ranging in a variety of topics.  Some topics we discussed were: transitions, physical, relationships, financial.  We are all coping with the demands of mortality (reminded me of Mosiah 18-8-9).   Anxiety and depression is common among LDS women. What can we do? What is most needful for me to do today?

CONNECT with God and Jesus Christ everyday
and LOVE those within our circle of influence


We need to FIND Him.  When you feel like you can't continue with your trials or burdens at that moment He will be there with you and with Him you can!  She suggested some things to help us as we live our lives: enjoy the sunshine, eat healthy food, get adequate sleep, move your body, spirituality. (I thought of our Healthy Dibble Blog!)

I (insert your name here) open the door to the Savior in my life. 
Open the door with a sincere heart.  
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.  Revelation 3:20
I Stand at the Door and Knock; artwork: J. Kirk Richards (This is one of my favorites.  I got it framed earlier this year.)

She brought a framed photograph with her.  It was a photo of Kintsugi, a Japanese pottery that is made by repairing the broken pieces with resin and pure gold.  The work kintsugi means "repaired with gold". She shared this scripture:
 Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him:  On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him: But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. -  Job 23:8-10

She testified that we are here to be given trials to come to know Him and that Jesus Christ can and will heal us all. Her message was one that I have personally heard Elder Holland testify of : God wants broken things "broken heart" (MSA Fireside in AZ in April 2016).  I know that we are here on earth for a reason and one of those reasons is that we become like Him.  I know we accomplish this in a variety of ways like feasting on the words of Christ,  praying with all energies of our heart, and attending the temple.  I know that we are here as a family to help each other return to Him and I have one of the best! 


Additional Readings

In Mom's Gospel Doctrine classes she always encourages her ward members to continue to enhance their personal study and often shares additional readings. I wanted to share some additional resources:

No comments: